Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I would love to tell you about my Therapy appointment...but I don't remember it.


Lyme brain is a scary thing.  It is like living the movie Momento.  Who even knows how many times I have made this reference in my blog because I have no short term memory.  So my husband and I went to see the therapist, who I had some reservations about, and she actually wasn’t that bad.  At least that is what I told my husband because I remember nothing about going to see her, or what we talked about.  I called my husband to ask him when we were going to see her and he said, “We already say her on the 3rd, don’t you remember?”  No, I didn’t.  I don’t.  I don’t even know how to describe how absolutely terrifying that is to not remember things…and not just details, I mean ENTIRE events.  I have noticed throughout treatment that my blackouts wax and wane.  More than scary it is really frustrating.  I don’t remember phone calls or get-togethers with friends or family, I don’t remember entire conversations that were important.  When you tell people you don’t have any short term memory, after a lifetime of knowing them, they completely don’t understand what you mean.  To give a reference, it would be this: In my youth I used to be able to knock back quite a few alcoholic beverages – I guess you could say I was a bit of a binge drinker – and have black-outs, not remembering a lot of the evening, what I said or did, or how I embarrassed myself, etc.  Having Lyme brain is a lot like that only I get to escape the embarrassment of how I might have made an ass out of myself.  Anyway, this is a short post because I only got 3 hours of sleep last night and husband is not having an easy time trying to get the kids down for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment